Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Devil's Right Hand (The Night Walk Men, Book 2) --by Jason McIntyre

Fiction / Suspense / Urban Fantasy

350 pages / 957 KB
5 Stars

Just finished reading this book. If possible, I would give it more than 5 stars. I think Jason McIntyre is one of the most original authors I've read in a while. The book is suspenseful, at times terrifying, and is beautifully written. There are lines in the book that are pure, unadulterated poetry. I think I'm safe in saying that if you like Jim Butcher's Dresden File books, you'll enjoy the Night Walk Men books. However, they are not the same. Not by a long, or short, shot!

The story is narrated by Sperro, one of the Night Walk Men. He tells us the main story, and several back stories, and by the time he is finished making and pouring us tea, and we are finished drinking it, the story is finished, and all the loose ends are neatly tied and properly disposed. It takes place in Vancouver, BC, for the most part. There are a few side trips out of the city.

Mind you, I had to finish this book. And yet, there was that feeling I had when I first read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. I couldn't put that book down, either, and was somewhat surprised when I finished it to realize there wasn't a good guy in the book. Well, there aren't too many good guys in this story, but everyone has their own shade of gray to wear, so to speak. And what determines goodness, anyhow? Is it vengeance for a killed child? Or a lost marriage? Is it to survive at any cost? Why do we do what we do? What do we do to and for our children? What rules do we follow, which ones do we snub? All of the characters in this book face questions, and find their own answers. And Sperro keeps us apprised of all the anguish, the pain, the smelly parts of it. This book is not for the squeamish.

If you've read many of my reviews, you know my one criterion for fiction is that when I put the book down at the end, I want to feel better than when I picked it up at the beginning. This book more than meets my criterion. Jason McIntyre is a new author to me, but one whose books I intend on reading.


Highly recommend this book. It's a world of darkness one can become lost in, with always the right amount of light at the necessary times. Shivery good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment